Call 312.782.2400 for Your Initial Consultation


In today’s economic climate, many divorced parents are often faced with the difficult choice of having to decide whether to relocate to another city or State in order to maintain their employment with a current employer or to obtain more lucrative employment.  In many instances, following a divorce, parents think about moving for a new start on life.

When the custodial parent of a child wants to relocate to outside of the State of Illinois, that parent must seek the permission of the Court to remove the child from the state. In many instances, this can be a difficult process, particularly where the child and the other parent have a close relationship. Generally speaking, the Courts are protective of the relationship between children and parents and will not grant a request for removal in the absence of facts demonstrating that such a move is in the best interests of the child. The Court, often times with the assistance of an expert such as a psychologist, will weigh the relevant factors in determining whether to grant a custodial parent’s request for removal.

If you are thinking of removing your child from the State of Illinois or your ex-spouse is thinking of moving with the child, we can assist you.  Please contact HRK to arrange for a consultation.

Contact Us

Chicago Office:
30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 1210
Chicago, Illinois 60602

Lake Forest Office:
222 E. Wisconsin Ave.,
Suite 4B Lake Forest, Illinois 60045

Phone: 312-782-2400
Fax: 312-782-4025